[erlang-questions] BERT encoding and WebSocket

Mike Oxford moxford@REDACTED
Mon Apr 16 08:18:25 CEST 2012

There are some places around which are running out of frequency/spectrum,
you are correct.

However, the advantages of binary over JSON aren't as huge as they appear
on the surface.

1)  gz compression on JSON brings things down closer to hand-rolled binary
protocols
2)  Application space usage (frequency of sends, streaming vs periodic
updates etc)
3)  Dev time, time to market, etc.
4)  Move bandwidth is becoming available (FCC here in the US, etc)
5)  4G LTE rollouts
6)  WiFi coverage expansion

Sometimes you have to pack it down, but for a lot of mobile uses JSON is
just the right way to go (with liberal uses of -define() and an eye that
you may need to swap protocols later.)

-mox