[erlang-questions] pattern matching with records in a function

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Tue Apr 10 14:44:35 CEST 2012

As Attila has said the way to do this:

handle_cast(#inputmsg{}=Msg, State) ->
... ;

The reason your example doesn't work is that #inputmsg{_='_'} expands so that all the fields will get the value of the ATOM '_' which is definitely not the same as the VARIABLE _. In this case there is actually no need to do anything as the compiler automatically puts the variable _ for all fields which aren't explicitly mentioned.

The main use of the _='_' construct is when you want to create a match pattern for ets/mnesia which is tuple which is INTEPRETED as a pattern. Then it is useful to have a construct which sets all unmentioned fields to the value of the atom '_' which is interpreted as the don't care variable.

It is irrelevant whether you write #inputmsg{}=Msg or Msg=#inputmsg{} , they are equivalent. I prefer the former, but many prefer the latter.

Robert