[erlang-questions] link in erlang.org FAQ

Matthias Lang <>
Mon Apr 9 10:29:56 CEST 2012

On Friday, April 06, Wes James wrote:
> In the FAQ
> http://www.erlang.org/faq/how_do_i.html#id51336
> on unicode there is a link to "alpha code" that is broken. Anyone know
> where this code is?

I think it's here now:

More generally, I must update that question in the FAQ, a lot has
happened since it was written. A stab at reasonable advice:

  - As of R13A, Erlang includes basic unicode support. It's discussed in
    the documentation (http://erlang.org/doc/apps/stdlib/unicode_usage.html)

  - Some of the background to the implementation is discussed in
    EEP10: http://www.erlang.org/eeps/eep-0010.html

But: I have no experience with unicode. I once looked at it but
stopped reading when I saw there was a thing called a "supplementary
multilingual control plane". I imagine such a plane has strange food
and in-flight announcements in four languages, one of which is meant
to be English, but you can't hear which. It is not a pleasant place.

Anyway, it'd be nice if someone with a decent amount of unicode
experience could either confirm the above or tell me it's crap (and
suggest something better). The current entry has to go.