[erlang-questions] 0mq - Re: Troll bait: If your code really matters, you'll write it in C++

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Thu Apr 5 17:42:21 CEST 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 9:39 PM, Toby Thain <toby@REDACTED> wrote:
> On 04/04/12 4:44 PM, james wrote:
>>>
>>> A question here, though. As I understand it, AQMP is primarily used in
>>> the financial world, or at least particularly favored there. Is this
>>> true? And if so, which implementations are particularly popular?
>>>

>> Well, its hard to say. I've never seen it used, but then I don't work at
>> JPMorgan. RedHat's sponsorship of Apache AMQP should help, but it
>> doesn't seem widely used.
>>
>> I did have interest in it (from a 'bet I could write one of those' hobby
>> perspective) but the history seems unfortunate and the very significant
>> changes between the definition between 0.8, 0.9 and 1.0 don't bode well
>> IMO. Maybe its a sleeper - its certainly nice to see something specified
>> with a wire format rather than a borken API in a language you don't want
>> to use (for everything). iMatix throwing their toys around and doing
>> zeromq didn't help, though they seem to be having 'issues' with process
>> on that too.
>>
>> Maybe it will gain some traction once there are multiple 1.0 broker and
>> client implementations and a compatibility festival can be had the same
>> way the IIOP CORBA compatibility was demonstrated.
>

> Pardon me butting in from an uninformed perspective, but isn't 0mq highly
> regarded in this area?

I read James' comment to mean that 0MQ is undermining AMQP and that
the 0MQ has been challenged with "process problems".

I think both comments are fair.

I'd +1 the undermining of AMQP, so I don't see that as a knock on 0MQ at all :)

As for the 0MQ process problems (issues with breaking backward
compatibility, a project fork, etc.) I think that's largely settled
down (keeping this intentionally vague because this isn't the place
for a 0MQ discussion). My impression of the project is that it's quite
robust and I personally have confidence in the iMatix leadership.

In any event, I think people will find excellent Erlang support for
AMQP and 0MQ, whichever you want to explore.

Garrett