[erlang-questions] Fear and Loathing in Programming La La Land

Miles Fidelman mfidelman@REDACTED
Thu Apr 5 14:41:21 CEST 2012

Jan Burse wrote:
> Jan Burse schrieb:
>> To say setters are there because of GUI Builders,
>> is the same as saying a car has an engine because
>> the manifacturer can modify it. Which is utterly
>> bullshit, a car has an engine since a car needs
>> something that moves it.

Isn't it more like, we have this new tool, let's see what we can do with
it?  Cars have engines because somebody said "gee, I wonder if we can
put this steam engine on that horse-drawn car." :-)

> Tools are typically developed along
> the following priorities:
>
>   1. Architecture
>   2. Methods
>   3. Tools
>
> And not the other way around.
I'd kind of beg to differ on this.  New tools lead to new methods lead
to new architectures.  ("Gee, we have a steam engine, let's see what we
can do with it." Or, "hmm... nails and a hammer, I bet we could build
bigger, taller buildings.")

New tools and building blocks enable new methods and architectures.
(Granted that there's a bit of co-evolution going on as well... "... I
think we're going to need a bigger boat.")