[erlang-questions] Right direction ?

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Tue Sep 27 18:31:02 CEST 2011

Hi there,

Late on this and the preceding thread, but I've been *very* interested in
something like this for a while now and raised it once...

http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2011-May/058871.html
http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2011-May/058904.html

I personally would really like (c) below. Mainly because it would render
packaging tools "less" useful and make deployment really easy.

I think one can draw inspiration from others like Mozilla XULRunner for
both locating code and how they make use of web-style deployment...

* Support for hardcoded locations based on URIs...
     -location("http://erlang.org/foo.erl").
     -location("file://./foo.erl").

* Support for centralising locations...
     -location("erlang://my_otp_app/foo.erl")
     where the actual location is picked up from "erlang.manifest" that
maps "my_app" to some ebin dir similar to "chrome.manifest" in Mozilla.

* Support for custom file streams...
     -location("riak://my_server/foo.erl")
     where loader would expect "riak.manifest" to tell it how to fetch the
file (possibly an {M,F,A} entry)

* Enforce security restrictions for unsigned code

On that last point: I wonder for example how possible it would be to
restrict code loaded from remote locations to the "same-source" rule. Also
(probably more tricky), how difficult it would be enforce a rule that code
coming from remote unsigned sources cannot have access to the local
filesystem or erlang ports.

Mozilla makes two broad categories for code loaded from URIs -- chrome://
(call it erlang:// for our case) that has access to everything, and
everything else (http://, file://, etc) that mustn't access the (full)
local file system or external processes. This would be nice to have,
because code signing can get tedious.

- Edmond -