[erlang-questions] getting type info at runtime

Daniel Luna daniel@REDACTED
Tue Sep 27 17:53:37 CEST 2011

Many years ago I wrote a runtime -spec checker, reading the data from
abstract code (if I remember correctly).

The checker will convert input to any function with a -spec
declaration to a type, and validate that type against the -spec.  This
will then be done recursively for any function call originating from
the checked function call. (As long as all modules in that chain are
compiled with debug_info (since that is the only way to get access to
the types).)

All of this is done loading a spec checked version of the code, and
rewriting all function calls with a magical prefix.  Calls to unknown
modules are then intercepted (by using a replacement error handler),
and loads a modified version of the called module. Etc.

The checking is all done in core erlang, which unfortunately ruins
readability quite a bit.

You can use and copy whatever you want from that project
(https://github.com/dLuna/Erlang-type-checker).

There are a few caveats:

1. I have not tested this in a long time, and I'm heavily depending on
Dialyzer for the type parsing.  If Dialyzer has been changed, my code
might break.

2. Something changed in core erlang a few years back, so the code is
broken as it stands today.  Should be an easy fix for someone wiling
to learn a bit about core erlang (or wants to do some io:format
programming).  I have marked the place of offending code.

3. Type checking using my current implementation is *slow*.  The
reason for this is that I type convert the full argument even if only
a minor piece is necessary. (e.g. given the type [any()] my code would
still convert a list with a thousand deeply nested elements into its
fully expanded type)  The fix for this is easy, but time consuming.

Anyway.  Even if it turns out that the core erlang parts are hard to
reuse, the code server parts should be straight forward to copy.  If
anyone wants to know more detail just ask and I'll see what I can
remember.

Cheers,

Daniel

ps. Assume that it's under an MIT license, and I'll add the actual
license statement later this week.