[erlang-questions] where did my code come from?

Dmitry Demeshchuk demeshchuk@REDACTED
Tue Sep 13 09:53:10 CEST 2011

This seems to produce a handful of duplicate and almost duplicate
code. Say, you use 11 modules from a certain external app, and you
need to annotate them all.

For example, such tools as rebar just refer to the application itself,
allowing to download it, update it from external sources, build and
easily include to your code path. What it doesn't provide is, as you
described it, implicit knowledge of where the code comes from for the
programmer. Partially, this can be solved by some rebar-dependent
extensions for vim/emacs/whatever. But, of course, it won't be a
universal solution in any way (we'll have 2 dependency points here:
rebar and editor).

Adding locations as you are suggesting (whether it's done manually, or
semi-automatically) is surely more environment-independent, but looks
quite clumsy.

So, as for me, I'd rather write a scope plugin for vim that takes
rebar.config into account (probably, the only major Erlang open-source
project that still *doesn't* use rebar is rabbitmq) and allows to
display the given module's location. The rest of the stuff is easily
done by rebar itself.

Best regards,
Dmitry Demeshchuk