[erlang-questions] gproc and synchronous start of registred processes

Magnus Klaar magnus.klaar@REDACTED
Mon Oct 31 20:21:44 CET 2011

Hi!

It's worth taking a closer look at the supervisor behavior, all restart
strategies except the simple_one_for_one strategy allows you specify a
unique id for all child processes added to the supervisor. If a duplicate
process with the same id is added at a later point in time an error
containing the pid of the existing child process is returned. Ideally, you
would register it under the same id in gproc to make future lookups and
inspection easier.

Your existing approach isn't half bad to be honest, you don't need to tear
it _all_ down because you change where you store the process names. If you
need to replace this server with a more complex code to handle the race
condition you created you're not saving yourself any trouble. You can keep
the server for synchronization but change the data store.

MVH Magnus