[erlang-questions] Erlang string datatype [cookbook entry #1 - unicode/UTF-8 strings]

Jon Watte jwatte@REDACTED
Fri Oct 28 00:20:43 CEST 2011

Also, as long as the sub-binary is smaller than 64 bytes, the VM is
perfectly allowed to do the extraction itself, because small binaries are
process-local and thus can almost trivially be detected and extracted.

For example, I imagine the VM could keep a count of how many bytes are
referenced within a large binary (in addition to the actual ref count), as a
hint for when a large binary is unlikely to be beneficial to stay in RAM.
Implementation idea sketch: When a local heap references a global binary but
the total amount of referenced bytes within that binary is less than 50%,
the local heap will extract the piece it needs and release the global
reference. This would cause many degenerate cases to clean up themselves on
reference/use/collection (whenever you trigger this mechanism).

Sincerely,

jw

--
Americans might object: there is no way we would sacrifice our living
standards for the benefit of people in the rest of the world. Nevertheless,