[erlang-questions] 2 (unrelated) questions.

Ahmed Omar spawn.think@REDACTED
Wed Oct 26 22:21:41 CEST 2011

A1: There's a searchable google group that mirrors the list
http://groups.google.com/group/erlang-programming?pli=1

A2 :
http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/erlang.html#register-2
Failure: badarg if Pid is not an existing,* local* process or port, if
RegName is already in use, if the process or port is already registered
(already has a name), or if RegName is the atom undefined.

You can only register local processes. For
distributed/global registration you can take a look at pg2 module or gproc
http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/pg2.html
https://github.com/uwiger/gproc

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Paul Barry <paul.james.barry@REDACTED>wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> Q1. Is there a search interface to this list?
>
> ...which is, I guess, sort of related to my next question (which I
> wouldn't ask if I could find a search interface to the archives)...
>
> Q2. Being able to register a spawned process is cool, but why can't I
> register a process that is spawned remotely?  That is, why does this
> line of code give me a "badarg"?
>
>     register(the_board, spawn('server@REDACTED', displayboard,
> putmessage, [])).
>
> Thanks.
>
> Paul.
>
> --
> Paul Barry, w: http://paulbarry.itcarlow.ie, e: paul.barry@REDACTED
> Lecturer, Computer Networking: Institute of Technology, Carlow, Ireland.

Best Regards,
- Ahmed Omar
http://nl.linkedin.com/in/adiaa
Follow me on twitter