[erlang-questions] How to diagnose stuck Erlang node

Kirill Zaborsky qrilka@REDACTED
Wed Oct 26 09:42:22 CEST 2011

Recently we have found some problems with our Erlang application:
For some time system works ok (e.g. before today it run with no problems for
at least 17 days). Then something happens and it "stucks". It does not
repond to pings, http interface (mochiweb) gives no replies. The only thing
that can be observed is standard "ALIVE" message sent to stdout every 15
minutes when there is no output to stdout. Messages from logs show nothing
special before logging stops.
The only thing I could do is just kill the emulator. That gives me
opportunity to restart the system but gives no additional information about
the roots of the problem.
On JVM it's possible to get program thread dump (using QUIT signal) is there
some ways to "manually" force Erlang emulator to produce crash dump without
using erlang:halt/1?
Are there some other ways to diagnose this problem which I should take a
look at?

Kind regars,
Kirill Zaborksy