[erlang-questions] Erlang newbie questions

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Fri Oct 21 09:21:11 CEST 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 11:30 PM, Gerry Weaver <gerryw@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Please disregard the questions in my previous two posts. I have managed to find the answers that I was looking for.
>

> Sam made an interesting point with regard to the Unix daemon behavior. This prompted me to dig into to the code a bit more. I'm afraid this would prevent me from using Erlang for any upcoming projects. This basically leaves me with the prospect of either fixing the issue or walking away. This is somewhat complicated by the fact that I wouldn't anticipate much interest on the part the development team proper. I came to this conclusion after reading through the mailing lists. I could be wrong, but this is the feeling I got. So... it seems I would not only have to commit to doing the work, but I would also have to maintain a separate code base. This is not something I'm ready to jump into without a great deal of thought. I would need to do much more work with Erlang before I could make any decision on this. I think I need to take a step back and let a couple of weeks of reading and
> experimentation sink in. I should probably try to come up with an application that would target/exercise all of my key points of interest in Erlang. If I were to decide to do these changes, I would, in all honesty, probably just bring it into my world (ie; cmake, embedded api, separately started daemon processes, pid files, software virtualization, etc.). I do plan to become familiar enough with the code base to get an initial sizing of the effort. I don't expect any of this thinking to be very well received, but I would be open to any and all thoughts or perspectives on the matter.
>

> I would like to say thank you again to those who took the time to respond to my queries.

Well thanks for starting this thread. The answers get archived and
become searchable and slowly find their way into the books, articles,
papers and blogs
so the effort is never wasted. This is how software evolves in lots of
small steps...

Cheers

/J