[erlang-questions] Erlang newbie questions

Sam Bobroff sam@REDACTED
Thu Oct 20 06:35:18 CEST 2011

On 20 October 2011 13:39, Steve Vinoski <vinoski@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 6:34 PM, Sam Bobroff <sam@REDACTED> wrote:
>>
>> * If you use the built-in heart program to restart a crashed or hung
>> VM process you can get into the situation where you can't (easily)
>> stop a VM that's crashing on start-up. If you kill heart then the VM
>> restarts it, if you kill the VM then heart restarts it. This might be
>> OK on an embedded machine but it does not make a Unix admin happy when
>> a service needs to be stopped right away.
>
> The techniques I described here let you limit the number of heart restarts:
>
> http://steve.vinoski.net/blog/2009/02/22/controlling-erlangs-heart/
>
> --steve

Thanks Steve, that looks good.

But to be honest, I've already written my own wrapper program (and
some Erlang code) that solves most of the issues I raised (including
replacing heart, handling pid files, log files, console output during
startup, exit codes etc.) and with luck I'll be able to open-source it
fairly soon.

It'll be no surprise that the reason I could reel off a list of
problems is that I've encountered them and built workarounds myself
:-)

I'd love for it to be useful for yaws!

Sam.