[erlang-questions] cookbook entry #1 - unicode/UTF-8 strings

Michael Uvarov freeakk@REDACTED
Wed Oct 19 22:14:02 CEST 2011

When we say "Unicode string", we do not provide full information about
this string. There are many forms of Unicode.

Q: Which way did Erlang developers chose?
A: The Erlang way is simple. It is to represent a string as a list of
code points. It helps to solve one problem: there are no encodings
(UTF-8, UTF-16, UTF-32) in this form. There are no UTF-16BE or
UTF-16LE (endianess on different architectures is a problem of network
systems). But this way does not solve the normalization problem.

Q: But how to get my strings back to UTF-8? I want to pass it to an
other application.