[erlang-questions] Erlang newbie questions

CGS cgsmcmlxxv@REDACTED
Tue Oct 18 13:29:39 CEST 2011

Thanks, Joe and Ulf for those comments. Yes, I was missing that part in
expressing my point. In my post, there were just two simple points I
wanted to pass further:
1. one cannot compare a single thread application written in C with
multithread application in Erlang (if you do want to compare, the
comparison should go from multithread Erlang application to multithread
C application);
2. as Joe simplified and I was also mentioning that, one doesn't need to
reinvent Erlang/OTP when you have it already.

Joe, I met cases when those 5% meant a lot (especially in the long time
consuming physics simulations). In those cases, I would still prefer C
to Erlang. But, as I said, each language has its own beauty and you need
to look at it from the correct angle to make the best use of it. I would
still write a game AI in C and not in Erlang or JavaScript (where there
is an attempt based on jQuery). Maybe it's about me, but I still
consider C as being more suitable for that task. On the other hand, as I
said it before, I wouldn't start writing a network application in C when
Erlang provides such simple ways to do it. But these are just examples
and there is much more in each of them. So, it's a matter of what you
need and where each of the languages shows more beauty in approaching
the problem. I wouldn't just discard C yet, but I wouldn't deny the
productivity of Erlang. It's the same case with all the languages: they
came as a need to cover different sectors (and I can give a lot of
examples, but you already know them).

Cheers,
CGS