[erlang-questions] in-flight module transforms - request for comments

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Tue Oct 18 13:14:58 CEST 2011

On 18 October 2011 11:06, Ulf Wiger <ulf.wiger@REDACTED> wrote:

> For those of you out there who have used similar things before, what kind
> of support would you like to see?

I'm interesting in writing up some simple code instrumentation tools so I
can do stuff like declaratively inserting performance counters and/or
logging statements into my code. I've already used parse_trans and love it,
but doing this without forcing users into using a parse_transform sounds
really good - a post compile step provided by a rebar plugin could transform
the beam code afterwards, or as you say this can even be done at runtime.

One thing that would be useful would be some kind of qlc-esque selection
mechanism for finding code that matches certain conditions. Whether these
are match specifications or something else, they would make a very useful
addition. Matching on type/spec information would be even better, although I
suspect that's a little outside of the scope you're looking at right now.

Cheers,

Tim