[erlang-questions] Erlang newbie questions

Gerry Weaver gerryw@REDACTED
Tue Oct 18 02:17:08 CEST 2011

Hi,

Wow! I really appreciate your feedback. I find your responses very logical and helpful ;-)

Another issue that I've started to think about is deployment. There seem to be several competing tools/utilities for this. Is there a preferred or recommended solution?

Is the Erlang language itself still evolving? The reason I ask is that the fellow that did CouchDB posted a blog entry about the things he encountered while developing CouchDB. What was interesting to me is how, even after a short time with the language, many of the issues he mentioned immediately rang true with me. For example, what is the benefit of the "; , ." terminators as opposed to a single terminator approach?

I don't mean to sound negative here. I'm just poking around a bit. I find Erlang quite compelling overall. I'm digging into the OTP at this point and there are some really interesting capabilities there.

I assume a best practice is to minimize the use of modules written in other languages. What exactly would the scenario be for a C module that segfaults? I assume it would take down the VM.

Thanks,
-G