[erlang-questions] return list or send message back

Chris Hicks silent_vendetta@REDACTED
Mon Oct 17 23:15:12 CEST 2011

Returning something from a function and passing a message are two completely different mechanisms. You can only 'return' a result from a function that has been 'called' such as:
initial_function()	do stuff        ....        ....        Value =  call_function()        do more stuff        ....

call_function() ->        do stuff        ....        ....        return value.
If you send a message from Process A to Process B, the only way to get anything from B to A would be to send a message back using the PID. Be careful in doing this that you don't create a situation where both processes are waiting for a message from the other in order to continue.