[erlang-questions] New NIF behavior in R15???

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Mon Oct 17 15:06:51 CEST 2011

Sounds rather involved, but an interesting example of Erlang providing the
infrastructure glue to various technologies - something that it seems to be
very good at. I've got a couple of linked in drivers I'd like to migrate,
one of which provides an interface to various XSLT processors (Xalan-C,
libxslt, Sablotron, etc) and the other which I recently started, providing a
binding to Oracle via the OCI call interface. It seems to me that both would
benefit from the stability improvements that should come from Native
Processes.

There's one thing I am a little unclear on, and perhaps it's just a case of
RTFM on NIFs. For linked-in drivers, you've got the outputv callback to get
a direct handle to data (in an ErlIOVec) without incurring copying - I guess
that NIFs already minimise the copying which is why they're fast? Also I
make heavy use of the 'driver_send_term' API call, which on the SMP runtime
is safe to use from an arbitrary thread. I'm hoping that this latter
facility (being able to send a message to an arbitrary pid from an arbitrary
worker thread) will be preserved in the new API.