[erlang-questions] servers for mountable remote file systems

Tony Rogvall tony@REDACTED
Fri Oct 14 14:07:00 CEST 2011

Hi joe!

Luke did hack a cool erlang NFS server 10 years ago :-)

http://jungerl.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/jungerl/jungerl/lib/enfs/

Nothing new under the sun !

/Tony

On 14 okt 2011, at 10:30, Joe Armstrong wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to make a remote virtual device that I can mount on mac-os X/linux etc.
>
> It seems like there are three alternatives
>
>     a) webdav
>     b) samba/smb
>     c) NFS
>
> I need an Erlang server that implements a virtual file system as a
> back-end to the protocol
> in question.
>
> I can imagine emulating a large number of small files - the mounted
> file system would appear to have a
> large number of small files - but in fact these would not exist but be
> emulated in the server.
>
> Has anybody implemented servers for the above protocols in Erlang? or
> do I have to start from
> scratch? Is any of these protocols to be preferred over the others,
> given that I want to emulate
> a large number of small files. Is my list a) - c) complete are there
> other protocols I should consider?
>
> /Joe

"Installing applications can lead to corruption over time. Applications gradually write over each other's libraries, partial upgrades occur, user and system errors happen, and minute changes may be unnoticeable and difficult to fix"