[erlang-questions] Erlang SMTP Client?

Robert Raschke rtrlists@REDACTED
Tue Oct 11 11:31:29 CEST 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 6:43 AM, Ahmed Al-Saadi <thaterlangguy@REDACTED>wrote:

> On 10/10/11 5:30 PM, David Mercer wrote:
>
>> On Monday, October 10, 2011, Andrew Thompson wrote:
>> ...  I must admit, I am surprised
>>
>> there is no SMTP client in the standard distribution.  You would think
>> that
>> would be a fairly common communication protocol...
>>
> You will be more surprised to find (almost) no Unicode support in the
> standard distribution!
>
> -signed(ahmed).

???

Dealing with Unicode is highly application dependent.

I would say that the majority of code dealing with strings transports them
from one place to another, and then binaries and the unicode module are
excellent! And for reasonable string manipulation a list of code points (or
UTF-8 binaries) are all you will need for a long time.

If you require a deeper understanding of Unicode code points, combining
forms, and their visual representations (e.g., when implementing an editor),
then you've got a ton more problems. And those are hard problems with more
corner cases that you would ever wish for.

Apologies for veering off topic, and probably coming across a wee bit too
harsh,
Robby