[erlang-questions] Erlang SMTP Client?

Richard Carlsson carlsson.richard@REDACTED
Tue Oct 11 02:01:32 CEST 2011

On 10/10/2011 11:30 PM, David Mercer wrote:
> On Monday, October 10, 2011, Andrew Thompson wrote:
>
>> I'm the author and maintainer of (in my biased view) the most complete
>> SMTP library for erlang, gen_smtp:
>>
>> https://github.com/Vagabond/gen_smtp
>>
>> gen_smtp includes both a SMTP client, and a callback framework for
>> writing SMTP servers. It's part of several other erlang projects now,
>> including Zotonic and Chicago Boss.
>
> Thanks.  That worked fine out of the box.  I must admit, I am surprised
> there is no SMTP client in the standard distribution.  You would think that
> would be a fairly common communication protocol...

Often, what you want is more than just SMTP. If there are some network
issues (or your mail server is simply down) at the time your program
tries to send the mail, you usually want your program to still be able
to regard the mail as sent and carry on. This means that the mail needs
to be persistently stored on disk in a spool area and that the MTA
regularly tries to send any outgoing mail that's been spooled, so it
will eventually be on its way once the problem is resolved. That's why
we like to rely on sendmail instead. But it all depends on the needs of
your application.

    /Richard