[erlang-questions] failures in supervised processes

Tim Freeman tfreeman@REDACTED
Fri Oct 7 21:25:25 CEST 2011

Every document I have located refers to an exit signal being sent to the
supervisor.  To me, this implies some participation of the process or the
runtime on the remote node to indicate failure.  My question is about
distributed processes that simply die/lose contact.

Let's say the remote process is on a computer whose network cable is suddenly
removed.  What happens then, does the supervisor do its own active checks,
what is the fallback mechanism there?

Thanks,
Tim