[erlang-questions] Profiling tool to find bottleneck on my Erlang code

Peer Stritzinger peerst@REDACTED
Fri Oct 7 10:08:04 CEST 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Knut Nesheim <knutin@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Zabrane Mickael <zabrane3@REDACTED> wrote:

> I have been working on a tool for our application to accomplish this.
> It is still very much early stages, but it's already available on
> github.com/knutin/kprof
>
> The idea is to trace the path of execution of a request in your
> system, as it travels through different tiers and different processes.

How do you trace a request across processes?  Do you need some id
tagging of the messages etc?

Normal gen_server call like requests would probably work, but what
about cast like messages.

If I want to use kprof for protocol layers, where messages travel up
and down the layers freely and a request after travelling down the
layers is e.g. answered by a response from outside the system, which
makes the top layer function call finally return.  Is it possible to
trace requests like these without instrumenting all layers and/or the
messages?

Regards
-- Peer Stritzinger