[erlang-questions] Timeout in erl_call

Ahmed Omar spawn.think@REDACTED
Thu Oct 6 13:58:34 CEST 2011

Hi Knut,
Are you using the option -s with erl_call?
This situation could occur if :
1) the new node started by erl_call can't connect to your live node (because
of cookies for example, but in that case u should find a log about
connection attempt from disallowed node)
2) there's a started node for communication, and erl_call can't connect to
it to do the next call

It might be helpful also if you provide more details, using -d option
(debug) for erl_call

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 8:35 AM, CGS <cgsmcmlxxv@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi Knut,
>
> Let me see if I understood correctly. The problem is not continuous for the
> same machine, but only from time to time? If not, check your installation
> because, as far as I know, node-to-node communication uses RPC which, in
> this case, needs to be set to accept communication without entering any
> user/password (key-pair authentication and the processes to belong to the
> user for which the key was created). Otherwise, if the problem appears and
> disappears for a machine, there are few things which you can check:
> 1. If OTP (application/monitor/gen_server), check what your monitor is
> reporting and see if you can match any crash/attempt to restart a generic
> server.
> 2. Check if your listener is not busy.
> 3. In case of sending to a spawned thread, if the thread is up.
> ...and so on. You can notice that the more info you give us, the better for
> us to understand your problem. Parts of the log would be very helpful (just
> don't forget to replace the sensitive data with generic ones - e.g.,
> mydomain.com with example.com).
>
> Cheers,
> CGS
>

> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Knut Nesheim <knut.nesheim@REDACTED>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Joel Reymont <joelr1@REDACTED> wrote:
>> >
>> > Is there heavy traffic between the nodes?
>> >

>> No, I don't think the traffic should be a problem. From this machine
>> to other machines in the cluster we do around 10 messages per second
>> that are between 2k and 10k in size.
>>
>> Knut
>> --
>> Engineering
>> http://www.wooga.com | phone +49 151 57202523 | fax +49-30-8964 9064
>>
>> wooga GmbH | Saarbruecker Str. 38 | 10405 Berlin | Germany
>> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin; HRB 117846 B
>> Registergericht Berlin-Charlottenburg
>> Geschaeftsfuehrung: Jens Begemann, Philipp Moeser

Best Regards,
- Ahmed Omar
http://nl.linkedin.com/in/adiaa
Follow me on twitter