[erlang-questions] OpenSSL 1.0 removed md2 and this affects Erlang/OTP builds.

Attila Rajmund Nohl attila.r.nohl@REDACTED
Wed Oct 5 14:24:14 CEST 2011

2011/10/5, Jesper Louis Andersen <jesper.louis.andersen@REDACTED>:
[...]
> On the same basis: When do we get to ditch MD5 and SHA1?

They are used by SNMPv3 so I don't think it's that easy to ditch them...

> Both message
> digests are probably going to become problematic. MD5 is already
> broken for its 2nd preimage resistance to the point where nobody can
> use it for that anymore.

As far as I know, it is possible to generate two sets of binary data
that has the same MD5 digest. It is also possible to generate two sets
of formatted binary data in a format (.doc file, etc.) that has the
same MD5 digest - the key is that these formats can include binary
junk that is actually not used. Again, as far as I know, the SNMPv3
packet format is not quite like this, so I'm not  sure we can say that
MD5 authentication is broken for SNMPv3. I definitely would like to
keep MD5 in the future.

Anyway, I think there are millions of devices out there with SNMPv3
support that won't be upgraded before their hardware finally breaks
down or are sold to scrap.