[erlang-questions] Keeping massive concurrency when interfacing with C

Kresten Krab Thorup krab@REDACTED
Sun Oct 2 23:28:00 CEST 2011

Hi John.

You'd most likely want to implement anything that blocks in Erlang.  Typically, Erlang runs as many threads as there are cores (can be controlled with the +S erl argument).

The question is, what is it that you want to do in that C code?  Because the hardware is not able to do more things concurrently than it has cores..

If you want to do I/O in the c code, then you're probably better off writing it in Erlang, or use one of the existing linked in drivers designed for doing just that.

NIFs are best suited to do stuff that requires heavy computation, or something that needs access to a shared data structure, or leveraging some existing code.  ...but NIFs should not run for too long since they'll hold up all the other Erlang processes on that scheduler, and NIFs should generally not do I/O.

So if you have a large body of existing c code which does I/O, then there's no easy way to combine that with the benefits of erlang's inexpensive processes.

Sent from my iPad