[erlang-questions] How would you do 100 ifs?

Torben Hoffmann torben.lehoff@REDACTED
Tue Nov 15 14:43:52 CET 2011

I would assume that inifinity is 10,000,000 (that is a pretty big
number, if it is not enough you can just use X * 10,000,000 as infinity)
and then I would create a dict and store an index for each number
between 0 and 10,000,000 based on the index in the list and then look up
the value for X in the dict.

Something like this:

{_,Lookup} = lists:foldl( fun(Ls,{Index,Dict}) ->
                                         NewDict = lists:foldl( fun(L,
D) -> dict:store(L,Index,D) end,
                                                                Dict,
                                                                Ls),
                                         {Index+1, NewDict}
                           end,
                          {0, dict:new()},
                          ListOfRanges),
dict:find(X,Lookup).

But bear with me I have not given this much thought let alone pushed
through the compiler.

Cheers,
Torben