[erlang-questions] [ANN] Priority Queue Implementation

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Sat Nov 12 20:14:56 CET 2011

On 11/12/2011 05:19 AM, Hynek Vychodil wrote:
> There is not need make special priority implementation in Erlang.

Oh, but there is!  I think it is nice to have efficient data structures, just to keep software efficient.  So, there is a need, especially in a language like Erlang that happens to be slower than more native code execution.  Pursuing quality can help us avoid software that just becomes slower as it grows (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirth%27s_law).

So, yes, there is no need to care, unless you care about quality.

> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 6:06 AM, Michael Truog <mjtruog@REDACTED> wrote:
>> I was looking for a priority queue implementation where the priority is separate from the value being queued, where the order is preserved for the same priority.  That might not be a typical application of a heap to a priority queue, because it might be expected to lose order within the heap structure.  Since I want the priority to be separate from the value, the data structure I am trying to pursue is a bit different.
>>
>> On 11/11/2011 09:08 AM, Hynek Vychodil wrote:
>>> I have used this pretty raw but simple priority queue implementation
>>> for mine primes generation with true sieve:
>>>
>>> -module(pair_heap).
>>>
>>> -compile(inline).
>>>
>>> -export([new/0, insert/2, find_min/1, delete_min/1, merge/2, to_list/1,
>>>     from_list/1, insert_list/2]).
>>>
>>> new() -> [].
>>>
>>> find_min([H|_]) -> H;
>>> find_min([]) -> empty.
>>>
>>> %insert(E, H) -> merge([E], H).
>>> insert(E, []) -> [E];
>>> insert(E, [EH|SH]) when EH < E -> [EH|[[E]|SH]];
>>> insert(E, [_|_]=H) -> [E|[H]].
>>>
>>> merge([EA|_]=A, [EB|SB]) when EB < EA -> [EB|[A|SB]];
>>> merge([EA|SA], [_|_]=B) -> [EA|[B|SA]];
>>> merge([], B) -> B;
>>> merge(A, []) -> A.
>>>
>>> delete_min([]) -> [];
>>> delete_min([_|SH]) ->