[erlang-questions] Where's Dijkstra when we need him?

Matti Oinas matti.oinas@REDACTED
Fri Nov 11 06:05:59 CET 2011

People have taken too literally the phrase don't reinvent/reimplement
the wheel. They will use the wheel even if it is wrong size and is
triangle shaped instead of a circle.

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 5:31 AM, Richard O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED> wrote:
> One of our former students gave a talk here this afternoon.
> He's been working in industry, and has a very interesting
> perspective on what programming is all about.  It's all about
> building Web and Mobile applications in Java, and as well all
> know (:-) _every_ nontrivial program has to have a data base.
> His demonstration of IntellIJ, Spring Roo, and a bunch of
> other things convinced me that Erlang is a WONDERFUL language.
> I've long had a secret fear that maybe Erlang might after all
> not really be efficient enough, but seeing the equivalent of
>
> -record(note, {latitude :: float(), longitude :: float(), model :: string()}).
>
> and a few lines of code to set up a dets or mnesia table and then
> maybe tv:start() turn into at least dozens of files was, well,
> scary (you mean there are people who think this is a *good* thing?)
> and encouraging (how could Erlang-based systems *possibly* do worse?).
> People in the Java-for-Web world seem to be happy piling layer upon layer
> of semi-transparent goo over Java.

try {
   log.trace("Id=" + request.getUser().getId() + " accesses " +
manager.getPage().getUrl().toString())
} catch(NullPointerException e) {}

This is a real code, but please make the world a bit better place and
don’t do it, ever.

* http://www.javacodegeeks.com/2011/01/10-tips-proper-application-logging.html *