[erlang-questions] gproc scalability, shared ets, links and using terminate/2

Max Lapshin max.lapshin@REDACTED
Wed Nov 9 15:00:15 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Ulf Wiger
<ulf.wiger@REDACTED> wrote:

> It's true that link/1 has that advantage.
>
> The disadvantage is that if the server crashes, and is linked to, say, 100K processes, the EXIT signal will be duplicated that many times, likely forcing an OOM crash.

I understand. But I don't have anything to do, except hoping that
server will not crash, because with monitor in my situation system
gets frozen under normal load.

And 100 K of messages is not a reason for OOM. Dumping these messages
will be an OOM, error logger is the main reason to bring down VM.

By the way, have you seen my previous claim about non-atomic process startup?
Using supervisor  {error, {already_started,Pid}} feature is also not
100% unreliable because of race condition.