[erlang-questions] Erlang in Amazon AWS cloud

dokondr dokondr@REDACTED
Thu Nov 3 16:42:55 CET 2011

Torben, thanks for detailed answer!

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Torben Hoffmann <torben.lehoff@REDACTED>wrote:

> Mnesia in AWS is not a bit problem, but you have to deal with the fact
> that your instance can disappear and everything is lost, so you need do a
> bit of thinking about how to deal with that. I bet some of the Mnesia gurus
> can help you with some pointers there.

This should be a general problem, not just Mnesia. What is Amazon idea what
user should do with his data stored in DBMS, e.x. MySql,  when instance
disappear?

Have  anybody tried to run Erlang ETS / DETS key-value storage on Amazon
AWS? How  to scale ETSDETS to several instances in this case?

>  2) My app today consists of several standalone processes that communicate
> by means of simple files. I move from files to key-value store, but would
> like to preserve independent processes communicating with each other. What
> is a natural Erlang way to do this? How this natural way will be able to
> scale in AWS?
>
> Erlang is all about message passing directly between processes - forget
> about the files. It scales extremely well in AWS. Disclaimer: we have not
> tried to do inter-machine communication with our newest architecture, but I
> doubt it will be much of an issue.

Will I need some external Message Queue product (such as RabbitMQ) for two
Erlang machines to communicate? I know about general mechanism of message
passing between Erlang processes in the same or several machines. But what
about "store-and-forward" mechanism between machines, is it supported? As I
understand, I myself will have to implement persistent store to save
messages between instance restarts, Erlang OTP does not have this "out of
the box", correct?

Thanks,
Dmitri