[erlang-questions] Why do we need modules at all?

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Wed May 25 11:09:04 CEST 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 6:29 AM, Richard O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 24/05/2011, at 8:06 PM, Joe Armstrong wrote:
>
> > Why do we need modules at all?
>
> To hide data types,
> and to provide short names (we can import a function
> and not have to keep on repeating a long long name for it).
>
> I note, without recommendation either way,
> the existence of
>
>        local
>           <declarations>
>        in
>           <declarations>
>        end
>
> in Standard ML, where the second lot of declarations
> defines things visible outside but the first lot
> defines things visible only inside this form.
>
> > fib(N) ->
> >     fib(N, 1, 0).
> >
> > fib(N, A, B) when N < 2 -> A;
> > fib(N, A, B) -> fib(N-1, A+B, A).
>
> could be
>
>    local
>       fun fib_aux n a b = if n < 2 then a else fib_aux (n-1) (a+b) a
>    in
>       fun fib n = fib_aux n 1 0
>    end

How about

public
    Functions etc.
private
    Functions etc.
end.

Functions etc is just a regular sequence of function defs macros, records
etc.

The use of the words public and private would attract hoards of programmers
to our humble little
language...

/Joe