[erlang-questions] Why do we need modules at all?

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Tue May 24 20:14:29 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Parnell Springmeyer <ixmatus@REDACTED>wrote:

> I really like the idea of packages - I'm not quite sure why everyone is
> against them... Even Racket has extended the syntax of Scheme to the
> point where they support packages and modules now; it's a very natural
> abstraction for the human mind IMHO.
>
> I would, personally, stop using (or fork) the language if I were forced
> to program connected to a DB.

Why? Who cares how the data is stored - the requirements on storage
would be never-loose-anything fast latency access form any machine

I'd imaging a fast local db, that synced with some cloud storage and
where you could work on-or off-line with periods of no net access.

If your machine were struck by lightening you should be ably to
resume on any other machine, possibly loosing a very small ammount of data.

I imagine a local copy of couchDB with off-site replicas would be ok for
this.

> If it were a local ets-like DB that
> started when the Erlang VM started, cool.

Ets is too fast - we don't need to be ets fast :-)

> But not an over-the-internet
> type of thing, this is a particularly bad idea too because some
> applications really do need to be network efficient; if my language adds
> overhead to my network because it needs to request the definition of a
> function over the internet, that is A Bad Thing.

It's a trade off - if you always store modified functions in the net the
most you can loose is one function. If you don't you might loose
a lot of work if your machine suddenly disintegrates.

Umm let's think - in a good day I might write 500 lines of code
say 500 * 50 bytes in 86400 seconds that's 0.3 bits/second

I might look at ten times as much code - but I'd cache that locally.

/Joe