[erlang-questions] Why do we need modules at all?

Anthony Ramine nox@REDACTED
Tue May 24 16:31:43 CEST 2011

Le 24 mai 2011 à 14:45, Joe Armstrong a écrit :

> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Max Lapshin <max.lapshin@REDACTED> wrote:
> Very strange topic for me.
>
> I'd like to know if there will be hierarchial modules in Erlang,
> because tree of packages is a rather good idea:
>
> No it's not - this has been the subject of long and heated discussion and is
> why packages are NOT in Erlang - many people - myself included - dislike
> the idea of hierarchical namespaces. The *dot* in the name has no semantics
> it's just a separator. The name could equally well be encoders.mpg.erlyvideo
> or mpg.applications.erlvideo.encoder - there is no logical way to organise the
> package name and it does not scale -

packages are NOT in Erlang? Then the related code should be removed because
erl.lang.number:plus(1, 1) definitely works.

Also, I think the Haskell guys would disagree about packages not scaling.

--
Anthony Ramine
Dev:Extend