[erlang-questions] Why do we need modules at all?

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Tue May 24 15:44:10 CEST 2011

On 24 May 2011 14:38, Max Lapshin <max.lapshin@REDACTED> wrote:
> I don't understand what are you speaking about.
>
> How do you imagine this magic function namespace in terms of plain files?

You forget about files. You're code editor (IDE) is now a browser
based application. You search for things using a sidebar that
ultimately constructs a query to the code server to look for things
based on name/version/type-signature/author/safety/etc which becomes a
URL. You import things based on URLs. Your code is compiled and hosted
on the server. The local file system doesn't have to come into it per
se.

This last point is partly one of my concerns though. I don't always
have an internet connection and something that doesn't work without
one is potentially going to cause me problems. Perhaps if it was easy
for me to copy the entire repository and run it locally, synchronising
when I'm reconnected - that would do nicely. Then the service would be
providing something akin to source version control as well.

My head now hurts. :)