[erlang-questions] Erlang with Thrift

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Tue May 24 00:42:40 CEST 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Mike Oxford <moxford@REDACTED> wrote:
> Thrift's RPC mechanism is very one-way.
> Is anyone pipelining the Thift protocol over erlang sockets?  I cannot seem
> to find any examples via Google.

As in sending Thrift encoded payload as messages in distributed Erlang?

If you can get away from Thrift (e.g. no one else is relying on it or
you can't talk them off the cliff) I'd stick Erlang terms. BERT is a
decent way to let other languages play along, otherwise there are
usually language specific Erlang term conversion libraries.

If you're locked into Thrift, the Erlang bindings work fine for
encoding and decoding terms as per the Thrift docs. You need to dig
into the code for these modules: thrift_memory_buffer,
thrift_binary_protocol/thrift_protocol, and thrift_transport. Examples
for other languages should translate directly to those.

Garrett