[erlang-questions] Advanced Erlang Subtleties

James Churchman jameschurchman@REDACTED
Sun May 22 01:44:23 CEST 2011

a final one..

if you have for example a record like :

-record(server_opts,{port, ip="127.0.0.1", max_connections=10}).

then you can obviously do :

make_a_record()->#server_opts{max_connections=100}.

and to update a record :

update_a_record()->
MyRec = make_a_record(),
MyUpdatedRec = MyRec#server_opts{ip="10.20.30.40"}.

but you can't skip out the intermediate variable like so :

update_a_record()->
make_a_record()#server_opts{ip="10.20.30.40"}.

it gives ":17: syntax error before: '#'"

but wrapping in round brackets allows this :

update_a_record()->
(make_a_record())#server_opts{ip="10.20.30.40"}.

not sure why this is they case, but anyhow this might save a few lines :-)