[erlang-questions] DRY principle and the syntax inconsistency in fun vs. vanilla functions

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Fri May 20 17:36:06 CEST 2011

As I described previously: I actually think that the current syntax is
*better for newbies* (especially those coming from imperative languages)
since it drills-in Erlang's declarative nature. I view your proposal as
something to cater for the experienced Erlanger who wants an alternative
syntax for one-off scenarios.

- Edmond -

On Sat, 21 May 2011 01:19:43 +1000, Michael Turner
<michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED> wrote:

> Anyone who thinks that I address the needs of writers in preference to
> readers on this thread hasn't been reading me with much attention.
> Readability is somewhat in the eye of the beholder. A lot of the
> beholders
> on this list are seasoned Erlang programmers. It's pretty clear what they
> prefer: the way things are.
>
> I happen to find the indented style I propose more readable. I have also
> said that I think programmers new to Erlang would tend to agree, although
> without a scientific test it would be hard to establish this, I admit.
> Some
> day, if Erlang survives, all the eyes on it will be new, because we'll
> all
> pass from the scene, eventually, one way or another. So it's not as if
> newbie opinion is utterly irrelevant here.
>
> Disagreeing with my expressed position on readability is fair. Writing
> as if
> I'd never expressed that position, however, is not.
>
> -michael turner
>
> On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Edmond Begumisa <
> ebegumisa@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>> consider the needs of READERS in preference to WRITERS.
>>>

>> I found this statement nicely summed up the conflicting views on this
>> thread. Very well put. And it puts the issue to rest IMO.
>>
>> - Edmond -
>>

>> On Fri, 20 May 2011 18:27:03 +1000, Richard O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> On 19/05/2011, at 4:08 AM, Michael Turner wrote:
>>>
>>>  "Sorry, but Erlang doesn't *need* a better chance of survival."

>>> And?  Haskell is booming.  They tried to avoid success and failed
>>> miserably.
>>>
>>>  In the meantime, I haven't noticed a dramatic increase in the
>>> frequency
>>>>

>>> That does not mean that Erlang is under threat.  Come to think of it,
>>> R is
>>> booming
>>> also.  There are at least 81 mirrors of CRAN to handle the download