[erlang-questions] Help! rb won't start, and won't stop

Robert Raschke rtrlists@REDACTED
Fri May 20 14:41:11 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Ivan Uemlianin <ivan@REDACTED> wrote:

> Dear All
>
> This is my own fault.
>
> I recently restarted my remote app, connected to the node in a shell,
> started rb and called rb:show(), expecting a list of a hundred or so reports
> since starting the app.  I realised too late that rb would show me all the
> logs in the ten rotating log files.
>
> I can't remember what I did next.  It included killing the job and quitting
> the shell.
>
> When I came back, rb wouldn't start:
>
>    1> {ok,Pid} = rb:start().
>    ** exception error: no match of right hand side value
> {error,already_present}

At this point your shelll crashed, taking the already started rb with it.

> But it wouldn't stop either:
>
>    2> rb:stop().
>    ** exception exit: {noproc,{gen_server,call,[rb_server,stop,infinity]}}
>         in function  gen_server:call/3
>         in call from rb:stop/0

Thus attempting to stop it gives you this error.

> It wouldn't show me the reports:
>
>    > rb:show(1).
>    ** exception exit: {noproc,{gen_server,call,
>
> [rb_server,{show_number,1},infinity]}}
>         in function  gen_server:call/3

You should be able to simply rb:start() it again now.

Robby