[erlang-questions] DRY principle and the syntax inconsistency in fun vs. vanilla functions

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Wed May 18 18:13:11 CEST 2011

"Because I can't use M-x show-matching-lines to find the heads."

That would be "less browsable", rather than "less readable". That's a
reasonable objection, and in fact the only truly concrete objection I've
seen.  (If I may lump it together with "it breaks ctags", mentioned early,
which is undoubtedly also true.) But programming tools are not carved in
stone either. If, for example, somebody had to hack ctags to generate the
right search strings for this function format, it's not the end of the
world. It's just a matter of somebody wading into ctags and enduring the
pain of it for a few days.

Finally, nobody would be making you do this to your own code, and where you
had to deal with it in others, relatively trivial refactoring tools would
make it possible to "toggle" code back and forth between the two allowed
forms.

-michael turner