[erlang-questions] supervisor started from gen_server

Dmitry Demeshchuk demeshchuk@REDACTED
Wed May 18 11:44:50 CEST 2011

Sounds ridiculous. Supervisor should be started either by an
application as the root one, or by a higher-level supervisor. Most
likely, if you try starting it within gen_server, gen_fsm or whatever,
you'll end up with writing your own supervisor based on gen_server,
gen_fsm or whatever. Or you will have a failure point, which is as
bad.

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Roberto Ostinelli <roberto@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> just a quick question: can you think of any case in which starting a
> supervisor from a gen_server would actually be a perfectly fit idea? I tend
> to think of this with some relevant dose of fear, but I'd like to hear any
> opinion on this.
>
> Thank you,
>
> r.

Best regards,