[erlang-questions] error_logger and rpc

Jamie Brandon <>
Sat May 14 10:58:38 CEST 2011

I encountered some confusing interactions between error_logger and
rpc. My understanding is that rpc:call/4 executes the function on the
remote node and any side effects happen on the remote node. However
I'm finding that logs are only being handled on the local node eg

:~/retex$ erl -sname A
Erlang R14B02 (erts-5.8.3) [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [rq:4]
[async-threads:0] [kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.8.3  (abort with ^G)
()1> rpc:call('', error_logger, info_report, [[test]]).

=INFO REPORT==== 14-May-2011::16:50:11 ===
    test
** at node  **
ok

In this example nothing is shown on node B. In my case node B is a
server which logs reports to disk and A is a short-lived control
script ( https://github.com/jamii/retex/blob/master/control ) so these
logs are being lost.

I can't find this behavior documented anywhere. Can somebody explain it?

Thanks

Jamie