[erlang-questions] Best practices for handling invalid / unexpected messages

Ciprian Dorin Craciun ciprian.craciun@REDACTED
Fri May 13 22:19:42 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 22:57, Ahmed Omar <spawn.think@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hello Ciprian,
> IMHO
> A) Define the "Caller" :
>  i believe you need to make a distinction between the boundaries of your
> system and the internals.
> - On the boundaries, when other systems can feed data into yours, it's
> better to "validate" the inputs.
> - Introduce client APIs for your gen_server, wrapping/abstracting the actual
> gen_server:call

    Indeed I wasn't to specific about the purpose of these processes.
I was referring to the internal application processes, those which are
shielded from the "real" callers through a module / process that
exposes a REST interface or a RPC system where I try to validate the
inputs and give back errors as you've described.

> - Do the validation in these APIs, so the crash will be in the client
> process scope.

    About the `gen_server:call` wrappers, should I really do any
validation here if the exposed API is an "internal" one (as described
above not directly exposed to the "network")? It could amount to a bit
of overhead, especially if the validation is not a trivial one and
involves the inspection of a deep structure?

> For the gen_server callbacks itself (handle_call, handle_cast, handle_info),
> i would vote for letting it crash if something wrong got there, because
> 1) Makes your code cleaner, more neat and easier to debug
> 2) Doesn't hide bugs (Why a wrong request was made, and why it was not
> validated on the boundaries, also if the caller doesn't check replies,
> ..etc)

    Ok.

> B) Other dependent processes :
> It depends on your design, services provided by that gen_server and kind of
> state it keeps. In some cases, the processes needs to be restarted along
> with it (maybe to do initializations all over again), in other cases they
> don't need that. Define your case, and put the supervision tree that suites
> your needs.

    Indeed a supervisor tree helps if both the dependent and
dependency process are created by me and part of the same application.
But if one process is provided by another application I can't resort
anymore to `one_for_all` option, but instead I need to link the
process. The only problem is that in this case the link is not quite
bi-directional: i.e. if my dependency process fails then all the
dependent processes should be restarted, but if only a dependent
process fails, then the dependency could live on. Therefore I think
monitors (inside the dependent process) could be a better solution,
but working with monitors is not as easy as linking.

> I hope this helps

    Thanks for your reply, it confirmed / extended my initial hunches.

    Ciprian.