[erlang-questions] how to connect erlang nodes through an uncontrolled firewall

Ivan Uemlianin ivan@REDACTED
Tue May 10 16:24:13 CEST 2011

Dear All

I'd like to connect a couple of erlang nodes together, one "here", one
on a remote machine.  There are two firewalls in the way: one on the
remote machine, one local.

The remote firewall I can ask for ports to be opened.  I've read that
4369 for epmd and one other port are required (the second can be
assigned at runtime using sth like

     erl  -name qweasd  -kernel inet_dist_listen_min 9001
inet_dist_listen_max 9001 [1]

).

The local firewall is fixed, in the sense that I don't think I can ask
for ports to be opened and so on (I'm in a shared office building with
provided internet access).

Is there anything I can do at this end to open a connection?  I can ssh
out the the remote machine.  Can I have the nodes connect over ssh?

With thanks and best wishes

Ivan

[1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2369341/which-tcp-port-does-erlang-use-for-connecting-to-a-remote-node

Ivan A. Uemlianin

                     ivan@REDACTED
                      www.llaisdy.com
                          llaisdy.wordpress.com
                      www.linkedin.com/in/ivanuemlianin

     "Froh, froh! Wie seine Sonnen, seine Sonnen fliegen"
                      (Schiller, Beethoven)