[erlang-questions] How to abstract out common receive clauses?

Ladislav Lenart lenartlad@REDACTED
Fri May 6 11:57:36 CEST 2011

Hello.

I think something like this should work (not tested however!):

process(This, That, X) ->
   receive
     {From, do1} when X == a; X == b ->
       do1,
       process(This, That, X);
     {From, do2} when X == a; X == b ->
       do2,
       process(This, That, X);
     {From, do3} when X == a ->
       do3,
       process(This, That, X);
     {From, do4} when X == b ->
       do4,
       process(This, That, X)
   end.

In addition, you can also define helper macros like:

-define(is_a_or_b(X), X == a; X == b).
-define(is_a(X), X == a).
-define(is_b(X), X == b).

and rewrite the above using them.