[erlang-questions] removing an element from a list

Mazen Harake mazen.harake@REDACTED
Tue May 3 11:15:23 CEST 2011

They are equally "good".

A -- [q] says "remove all occurrences found in the right list from the left
list". This is sugar syntax for lists:subtract/2. A -- [q,w] would produce
[e,r,t,y].
lists:delete(q, A) says remote element q from list A (note: only one
element).

The simple answer is: They are almost the same. if you only want to remove 1
element the list then use delete, if you want to remove several then use
subtract.

note: both functions only remove the first occurrence of the element, E.g.
[a,a,b,c] -- [a] will result in [a,b,c] and _not_ [b, c], same behaviour for
delete.

/M