[erlang-questions] httpc manager crashes

Ingela Andin ingela@REDACTED
Mon May 2 15:41:24 CEST 2011

Hi!

2011/4/29 Arun Suresh <arun.suresh@REDACTED>:
> Helo Ingela
> I am Suma's colleague. Let me try to give more context to the issue we are
> facing..
> * Our app make a LOT (in the range of around 300) of http requests
> concurrently.
> * There are two types of requests
>    1) POST requests : These require us to go thru a proxy. These can
> themselves hit about 150  - 200concurrent requests.
>    2) GET requests :  Standard http requests.
> As far as the GET requests are concerned, we start some 300 profiles and
> randomly pick one for use.
> Since we have to send our POSTs via a proxy, at app initialialization time,
> we start 1 httpc profile. We see a lot of httpc_manager crashes pertaining
> to this particular profile. I understand that the httpc_manager is supposed
> to be a pretty light weight process.. not requiring any synchronization with
> the manager.. Is there a chance that the httpc_manager can crash ? Also, I
> was wondering, is the Data to be posted also copied to the httpc_managers
> message queue before its again copied to the handlers message queue before
> actually sending ?

Crashes are always a possibility and the httpc_manager will be restarted if
it crashes.  But normally it should not crash. We think the behavior
you have seen is
a bug, and we are working on fixing it.  There are also some other
known problems
such as the copying issue  of the request information that is unnecessary.
We are are working on solving this too but it may require a little more work to
make a good solution and we are as always struggling with priorities
of all things
we need to do, but it is in the plans.

Regards Ingela Erlang OTP team - Ericsson AB