[erlang-questions] Re: [erlang-questions 29] Re: fun with the new erlang.org!

Steve Vinoski vinoski@REDACTED
Wed Mar 30 13:50:47 CEST 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 7:41 AM, Raimo Niskanen
<raimo+erlang-questions@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 05:03:56PM +0100, Koener Antoine wrote:
>> Cacheability ?
>>
>> I can reload the page multiples times and still download images.
>>
>> It seems also that images don't have any 'cache' attributes.
>> (I don't recommended using ETags unless you're absolutely sure that
>> ETags will be always the
>> same on multiple web servers. i.e. some webservers use inode
>> information to compute the ETag
>> which is different on different servers...thought I don't know how
>> erlang-web compute it)
>
> Please inform a newbie, I just checked HTML4.01 and did not
> find any "cache" attribute.

He's referring to cache control headers such as Expires, ETag, and
Cache-Control. These aren't part of HTML but rather are typically
configured for the web server itself. See section 13 of the HTTP 1.1
spec:

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec13.html#sec13

--steve